What is a New York City Letter of Exemplification and why is it necessary for the purposes of apostille / authentication?

Sample Letter of Exemplification with the certificate number removed

We are often contacted by people who were born in New York City or who have had their loved ones pass away withing the 5 boroughs asking how they could get the respective birth and death certificate apostilled or authenticated for use abroad. A prerequisite for legalization is a letter of exemplification, a statement signed by the New York City Registrar confirming that the certified copy is indeed a true copy of the original document.

In New York City, birth and death certificates are issued by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. If you have the original certificate or a certified copy without a letter of exemplification, you would not be able to get it legalized for use abroad, and would need to order another certified copy, making sure to also request an accompanying letter of exemplification. If you are applying by mail or in person, you would simply need to answer “yes” to the question “Do you need a letter of exemplification?”. If applying online via VitalChek, make sure to select “Apostille / Authentication” as the reason for the application.

It is usually advisable to apply online or, if you can get an appointment, in person, as mail-in applications can take weeks, if not months. With online applications, the certificate certified copy and letter of exemplification typically arrives back in 2-3 weeks. If you apply in person, you can typically get the certificate the same day, but you would need to schedule an appointment beforehand.

Once you receive your certificate and letter of exemplification, we would be able to take care of getting your document apostilled or authenticated for use abroad. We will first certify the certificate with New York County, which is the only county that can certify the signature of the City Registrar, even if the certificate itself was originally issued outside of Manhattan. Once we get it certified with the county, we would be able to get it apostilled or authenticated with New York State. With regular service, the whole process of getting county certification and state authentication takes about 4-8 weeks. With courier-expedited service, the process can usually be done in under 1 week.

If the destination country is not a member of the Apostille Convention, the certificate would generally need to be further authenticated at the federal level, after which we would legalize it with the target country’s embassy or consulate. Federal authentication typically takes at least 1 month, but sometimes be as long as 3 months, with no option to expedite. Some countries, such as Vietnam, do not require federal authentication. China requires federal authentication only for documents issued in the jurisdiction of the Chinese Embassy in Washington, DC.

Note that New York City marriage certificate and divorce decrees do not need to be accompanied by letters of exemplification. Certified copies of marriage certificates are issued by the City Clerk, whose signature is recognized by New York County, while divorce decrees are typically obtained directly from the Clerk of the County in which the divorce took place. We are able to retrieve these records ourselves, although we would require you to provide us with a signed and notarized letter of authorization (which we can prepare for you).

If you have questions about New York City vital records, feel free to call us at (212) 233-7061 or e-mail us at info@apostille.us.

Unlocking Opportunities: The Significance of Evaluating Foreign Educational Credentials

In today’s interconnected world, individuals often seek educational opportunities in countries other than their own. Individuals immigrating to the United States often face the additional challenge of being able to use their educational credentials for the purpose of employment or further education in the United States. In some cases, US immigration authorities may also require foreign diplomas and other documents to be duly evaluated in their US equivalents for the purpose of visa and immigration applications. That is why evaluating your foreign diplomas or certificates can be a window to numerous opportunities.

Understanding Credential Evaluation

Credential evaluation is the process of assessing and comparing foreign educational qualifications to their equivalents in the United States. There are typically two main types of evaluations: document-by-document evaluations and course-by-course evaluations.

1. Document-by-Document Evaluations:

  • These evaluations provide a concise summary of the foreign diploma or degree, stating its equivalent in the U.S. education system.
  • They are a basic assessment, often used for general purposes like employment or immigration.

2. Course-by-Course Evaluations:

  • These evaluations provide a detailed breakdown of the foreign education, listing subjects studied, credits earned, and grades achieved.
  • They are typically required for further education, professional licensing, or employment in specialized fields.

Examples of Foreign Diplomas and Their U.S. Equivalents

To illustrate the importance of credential evaluation, let’s consider a few examples:

1. The Indian Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech):

  • In the U.S., this is often equivalent to a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Engineering.
  • A course-by-course evaluation would detail the specific engineering disciplines studied, such as electrical, mechanical, or computer engineering.

2. The Chinese Master’s in Business Administration (MBA):

  • This might be evaluated as a Master of Business Administration (MBA) in the U.S.
  • A course-by-course evaluation would outline the core business courses taken, like finance, marketing, and management.

3. The European Bachelor’s in Medicine:

  • This can be assessed as the equivalent of a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Medicine or a pre-medical degree.
  • A course-by-course evaluation would list the medical subjects studied, clinical training, and practical experience.

The Benefits of Credential Evaluation

1. Enhanced Employability:

  • Credential evaluation helps U.S. employers understand your qualifications, making it easier for you to secure a job that matches your education and skills.

2. Educational Pursuits:

  • If you plan to continue your education in the United States, a course-by-course evaluation ensures that your prior coursework is recognized by U.S. institutions, potentially saving you time and money.

3. Professional Licensing:

  • Certain professions, like nursing or engineering, require specific educational backgrounds. Credential evaluation ensures your foreign education meets these requirements.

4. Immigration and Visa Applications:

  • When applying for immigration visas or employment-based visas, accurate credential evaluation is often a requirement to demonstrate your eligibility.

5. Accurate Placement:

  • Credential evaluation helps place you in appropriate academic programs or professional positions, ensuring you’re neither overqualified nor underqualified for your chosen path.

In conclusion, the process of evaluating foreign educational credentials is a crucial step for individuals looking to make the most of their international education in the United States. It bridges the gap between diverse educational systems, enabling employers, institutions, and licensing boards to understand and appreciate the value of your foreign qualifications.

A&M Logos International has been producing evaluations of foreign educational credentials for over 20 years. We always try to evaluate your documents to show the most advantageous result in terms of US degrees and credit hours. Call us today at (212) 233-7061 or e-mail us at info@apostille.us. You can also apply on our website.

What is a Certificate of Incorporation?

A certificate of incorporation, also known as articles of incorporation or a corporate charter, is a legal document that is filed with the state government to create a corporation. It is the basic governing document of a corporation and contains information about the corporation’s name, purpose, location, and structure. A similar document, often called a Certificate of Formation, is filed to register an LLC or partnership.

It is worth bearing in mind that some states will issue a certificate to confirm the registration of a given company, while in others the same purpose would be served by a certified copy of the articles of incorporation filed with the state.

The specific requirements for certificates of incorporation vary from state to state. However, there are some common elements that are typically included:

  • The name of the corporation
  • The purpose of the corporation
  • The location of the corporation’s principal office
  • The number of authorized shares of stock
  • The names and addresses of the initial directors and officers of the corporation
  • The name and address of the corporation’s registered agent

In addition to these common elements, some states may have additional requirements. For example, some states require corporations to include a statement of their intended duration (e.g., perpetual or for a specified period of time) or a provision for amending their articles of incorporation.

Here are some examples of differences between states in terms of certificate of incorporation requirements:

  • Delaware: Delaware is known as a “business-friendly” state and has relatively few requirements for certificates of incorporation. For example, Delaware does not require corporations to include a statement of their intended duration or a provision for amending their articles of incorporation.
  • California: California has more stringent requirements for certificates of incorporation than Delaware. For example, California corporations must include a statement of their intended duration and a provision for amending their articles of incorporation.
  • New York: New York has requirements that are similar to California’s. However, New York also requires corporations to include a statement of their authorized capital stock. The State requires new corporations to state how many shares they would be issuing as well as if they have par value (below which the price cannot drop).

When choosing a state to incorporate in, it is important to consider the specific requirements of that state. Here are some additional things to keep in mind when filing a certificate of incorporation:

  • The filing fee for a certificate of incorporation varies from state to state.
  • The certificate of incorporation must be signed by the incorporators of the corporation.
  • The certificate of incorporation must be filed with the secretary of state of the state in which the corporation is being incorporated.
  • The corporation will not be considered legally formed until the certificate of incorporation is filed and approved by the secretary of state.

If you need assistance filing your certificate or articles of incorporation / formation to set up a corporation, partnership, LLC, or other entity in the United States, feel free to contact us by calling us at (212) 233-7061 or e-mailing us at info@apostille.us. You may also wish to visit our website.

We can also assist you with retrieving your certificate of incorporation / formation or a certified copy of your articles of incorporation / formation and apostilling or legalizing them for use abroad.

Criminal Background Checks in the United States

1st FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover

If you are applying for a foreign visa, permanent residency, or citizenship, you may be required to provide a background check. The specific requirements for background checks vary from country to country, so it is important to check with the embassy or consulate of the country you are applying to for specific information.

In general, there are two types of background checks that are commonly required for foreign visas, permanent residency, or citizenship:

  • State-level criminal background checks: These checks search the criminal history database of the state where you reside or last resided.
  • FBI background checks: These checks search the FBI’s National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database, which includes records of arrests, convictions, and dispositions from all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

The specific requirements for background checks also vary depending on the purpose of your visa. For example, if you are applying for a student visa, you may only need to provide a state-level criminal background check. However, if you are applying for a work visa, you may need to provide an FBI background check. Again, the specific requirements vary from country to country and depend on the purpose of your application.

It is important to bear in mind that the FBI background check is based on your name, date of birth, and fingerprints. The application can be easily filed online on the website of the FBI. Once the application is submitted, the fingerprints can be either mailed in or submitted via a participating USPS office.

The FBI generally issues the background in about 2-3 weeks. However, in most cases, you would also need to get it apostilled or authenticated at the federal level, which currently takes up to 2-3 months. That is why it may a good idea to check if a state-level background check would be acceptable instead of a federal FBI check.

Unlike the FBI background check, state-level background checks are based solely on state police databases. Moreover, many states do not require fingerprints to issue background checks, as the searched is based on your name and date of birth. Some states offer both fingerprint-based and name-based background checks, so make sure to check with the destination immigration agency or consulate if such background checks would be acceptable.

Most countries will also require your background check to be duly legalized. If the country is an Apostille Convention member, you would need to obtain an apostille.
An apostille is an official certification that a document is genuine. It is required by some countries as a way to verify the authenticity of a document.

If the country is not a member, the document would need to undergo chain legalization. For most countries, this means getting the document authenticated at both the state and federal levels (federal documents, such as FBI background checks, only need to be authenticated at the federal level) before getting it legalized with the respective country’s embassy or consulate. Some countries, such as Vietnam, only require state-level authentication. China, which is in the process of transitioning to becoming a member of the Apostille Convention, requires both state and federal authentication for documents issued in states within the Chinese embassy’s jurisdiction (generally encompassing the South and Mountain States), but only state-level authentication is required if the document originates from the jurisdiction of any of the other Chinese consulates (New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, or San Francisco). If you are not sure what to do, feel free to contact us, and one of our specialists will be more than happy to assist you.

The process of getting a background check for a foreign visa, permanent residency, or citizenship can be time-consuming and expensive. However, it is important to comply with the requirements of the country you are applying to in order to avoid delays or denial of your visa application.

Here are some additional tips for getting a background check for a foreign visa:

  • Start the process early. It can take several weeks to get a background check, so it is important to start the process early.
  • Check with the embassy or consulate of the country you are applying to for specific requirements.
  • Be prepared to pay the required fees.
  • Make sure that your background check is apostilled, if required.

A&M Logos International has over 30 years of experience dealing criminal background checks for use abroad. Call us today at (212) 233-7061 or e-mail us at info@apostille.us. You may also wish to apply through our website.

Divorce Decrees vs. Divorce Certificates

Going through a divorce can be a difficult and emotional process. There are many legal and financial details to consider, and it can be easy to get lost in the paperwork. Two important documents that are often confused are divorce certificates and decrees.

What is a divorce certificate?

A divorce certificate is a legal document, typically issued by the state, to confirm that a marriage has been legally dissolved. It typically includes the names of the former spouses, the date of the divorce, and the location of the divorce. Divorce certificates are often required for government-related purposes, such as changing your name or remarrying.

What is a divorce decree?

A divorce decree is a court order that finalizes a divorce. It is a more detailed document than a divorce certificate, and it typically includes information about the following:

  • The division of property and debts
  • Child custody and visitation
  • Spousal support (alimony)
  • Other terms agreed to by the spouses

Divorce decrees are not always required by the government, but they can be helpful in resolving disputes between former spouses. They can also be used to enforce the terms of the divorce, such as child support payments.

The problem is somewhat compounded by the fact that some jurisdictions in the United States do not issue divorce certificates. For example, the State of California does not issue divorce certificates for divorces that occurred after 1984. In such cases, the only document that can serve as confirmation of the divorce would be a certified or exemplified copy of the divorce decree from the court in which the couple had gotten divorced.

Both divorce certificates and decrees can be apostilled or authenticated, although one would generally need to retrieve a certified or exemplified copy of the divorce decree containing the signature of the clerk of the court in order for the state to apostille or authenticate the decree. If a state issues divorce certificates, one would generally need to apply for it with the state’s vital records agency and then get that certificate apostilled or authenticated.

Some foreign officials do not always understand the fact that the United States has a very decentralized vital records system, with many records often only available at the state or local level. Moreover, many fail to understand the fact that divorce certificates are not available in many US states, with the certified or exemplified copy of the divorce decree having the same effect as a certificate in such jurisdictions. This can create problems for US citizens seeking to get married or apply for certain visa categories in foreign countries.

A&M Logos International has been retrieving, processing, and legalizing divorce decrees and certificates for more than 30 years. If you need assistance retrieving and legalizing your decree or certificate for use abroad, call us at (212) 233-7061 or e-mail us at info@apostille.us. You may also wish to apply on our website.

Are marriage certificates public or confidential?

It may come as a surprise that US state and local law varies considerably regarding availability of marriage certificates to the general public. One can differentiate the following types of marriage records:

  • Public records: In some states, marriage records are public records. This means that anyone can request and obtain a copy of them, for any reason. There are no restrictions on who can access public marriage records.
  • Confidential records: In other states, marriage records are confidential. This means that only the parties involved, their relatives, or their legal representatives can access them. There are a few reasons why a marriage record might be confidential, such as if the couple is under the age of 18, if the marriage is annulled, or if the couple is seeking a divorce.
  • Restricted records: In some states, marriage records are restricted. This means that they are only accessible to certain people, such as government officials, researchers, or journalists. There are a few reasons why a marriage record might be restricted, such as if it contains sensitive information about the parties involved.

It is important to note that the laws regarding access to marriage records can vary from state to state. If you are unsure about the laws in your state, you can contact us to go over the law in your state.

As an example, here is an overview of the law in some states:

  • In California, informational marriage records are unrestricted, but certified authorized copies can only be obtained by the individual whose name appears on the certificate, their parents, their guardians, their descendants, an attorney, attorney-in-fact, or a member of a law enforcement agency. Confidential records can only be requested by the individual whose name is on the certificate.
  • In New York, marriage records are confidential for the first 50 years after the date of marriage. This means that only the parties involved, their relatives, or their legal representatives can access them during this time period. After 50 years, marriage records become public records.
  • In Florida, marriage records are available to anybody without the need for a power of attorney or notarized authorization letter.

The laws regarding access to marriage records can have a significant impact on people’s lives. For example, if a person is trying to prove that they are married for immigration purposes, they may need to obtain a copy of their marriage record. If the marriage record is confidential or restricted, this may make it difficult or impossible for the person to obtain the documentation they need.

It is important to be aware of the laws regarding access to marriage records in your state. If you intend to use your marriage certificate in a foreign country, you will need to make sure that the type of record would be eligible to get legalized. Call us today at (212) 233-7061 or e-mail us at info@apostille.us to discuss how we could go about retrieving and obtaining an apostille for (or legalizing) your marriage certificate. You can also submit your application on our website (https://apostille.us/Documents/Document_Marriage_Certificate.shtml. Our experienced team of experts will go over your particular situation and figure out a way to retrieve your records as quickly and as effortlessly as possible.

Provided below is a map for your reference state law differences on the availability of marriage records to the general public. States in GREEN have public marriage records. States in LIGHT GREEN have varying local law regarding the availability of marriage records (fully public in some counties and available to unrelated individuals with a notarized power of attorney or authorization letter). States in YELLOW release marriage records to unrelated individuals with a notarized power of attorney or authorization letter. Finally, the sole state in RED (Wyoming) only releases marriage records to the individual whose name appears in the certificate or a licensed attorney.

Registration of Matrimony: Marriage Licenses and Certificates

Registration of Matrimony: Marriage Licenses and Certificates

If you have decided to finally tie the knot with your loved one, you must undergo a couple of vital steps in order for the US federal, state, and local government to recognize your matrimony. This generally involves obtaining a marriage license—a document issued by your local government that allows you to marry—and then getting formally declared spouses by an officiant—an authorized individual who can solemnize marriages.

The first step toward getting married is to file an application for a marriage license. In most states, this must generally be filed with the office of the County Clerk, although if you are in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, or Vermont, this application must be filed with the City Clerk. As you may know, county governments in New England are either non-existent or have very limited powers. In many jurisdiction, this application can be filed online.

State law varies on who is legally permitted to apply for a marriage license. Most states have legal prohibitions on marriage between close relatives, including New Jersey and Rhode Island (which allow sex between close family members). Laws vary considerably regarding the legality of marriage between first cousins, with states such as Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, and New York allowing such marriage, while states such as Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Texas prohibit such marriages. US States generally do not require you to be a resident of that state to get married there. Also, while most states require both parties to be 18 to get married, some states, such as California, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Washington, permit child marriages with parental consent and judicial approval.

Once you apply for your license, some states require betrothed lovers to wait for a certain period of time before they can actually receive the license. Many states, such as California, North Carolina, and Ohio, do not have a waiting period, but those that do, such as Florida (for residents only), New York, and Texas, generally have a waiting period of 1-3 days.

The actual marriage ceremony takes place when an individual authorized by the state declares the two individuals seeking matrimony spouses. That person is usually a judge, magistrate, or priest, although in some states, such as California, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, the individuals themselves can self-solemnize the marriage. In Florida, Maine, and South Carolina, notaries public can solemnize the marriage. State law also varies on the need for witnesses to be present at the marriage ceremony. For example, California and New York require at least one witness, while Michigan and North Carolina require two. In many states, such as Texas and Florida, witnesses are not required. It is worth noting that the officiant and witnesses must generally complete the marriage license by signing it.

Once the license has been duly completed and signed, and the officiant has solemnized the marriage (or the marriage was self-solemnized by the newlyweds), the license must be filed with the locality where it was issued. The marriage is then recorded with the state, which entails considerable legal and financial repercussions. In “community property” states (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin) property and income acquired during marriage is automatically deemed to equally belong to the spouses. Newlyweds can often receive a marriage certificate that confirms their matrimony.

Foreign jurisdictions generally recognize US marriages, although some countries do not recognize same-sex marriages (which have been legal in the United States a federal level since 2015). However, most of the time, in order to be able to use your marriage certificate, it must first be duly legalized by obtaining an apostille (for Apostille Convention countries) or chain legalization (state and federal authentication followed by embassy/consular legalization). Some jurisdictions , such as Westchester County, New York, require the signature of the responsible official on the certificate to be printed within a certain time-frame, so you would need to obtain a certified copy of the marriage certificate if that time period has already expired. In addition, some states require the marriage certificate to contain certain signatures or to be of “long form”.

The map below shows the jurisdiction where marriage records are stored. States in BLUE have marriage records stored at the state and municipal level; States in GREEN have marriage records stored at the state and county level; States in RED have marriage records stored only at the county level. Worth noting is the fact that New York City marriage records can only be obtained from the city. Also, the State of Louisiana stores marriage records only for marriages registered in Orleans parish, so individuals who registered their marriage in a different parish must apply in that respective parish.

A&M Logos International specializes in the retrieval and legalization of marriage certificates, vital records, and other documents. Call us today if you have questions about registering your marriage, if you are marrying abroad and need help gathering all required documents, as well as if you need your US marriage recognized in a foreign country. You can reach us at (212) 233-7061 or by e-mail at info@apostille.us. You may also wish to apply on our website

Determining US tax residency

The United States of America is one of the few countries in the world that treats all of its citizens independent of where they actually live as tax residents. This means that all citizens must report their worldwide income and pay federal income tax on that income even if they have not been to the United States in decades. The rules for determining if a non-citizen individual is a tax resident of the United States are somewhat more complex.

The United States Internal Revenue Service uses 2 main tests to determine if a non-citizen is a tax resident of the United States: the green card test and the substantial presence test.

Under the green card test, an individual is deemed a tax resident of the United States if that individual has a Permanent Resident (“Green”) Card, independent of the number of days that individual spends in the United States. Bear in mind that that the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services can revoke somebody’s green card if they discover that the green card was obtained using fraudulent means (e. g. a fake marriage), the holder commits certain serious crimes, or if the holder “abandons” their permanent residency by showing intent to establish permanent residency outside of the United States (this is often interpreted to mean absences from the United States exceeding 183 days in a row).

The 2nd test used by the IRS to determine US tax residency status is the “substantial presence test”. Under this test, an individual is deemed a US tax resident if they are physically present in the United States for at least 31 days during the current tax year as well as at least 183 days during a 3-year period that includes the current year and the preceding 2 years. In counting those 183 days spent in the United States, one must count all days in the current year, a third of the days in the 1st year before the current year, and a sixth of the days in the 2nd year before the current one.

For example, let’s say a non-citizen of the United States who is also not in possession of a green card visits the United States for the first time in 2020, spending 100 days, then visits the United States again in 2021, spending another 100 days, and then another 100 in 2022. The total number of “weighted days” spent under the substantial presence test would be 151 (100 days in 2022, 34 days in 2021, and 17 days in 2020), which is below the minimum necessary to qualify for US tax residency. On the other hand, if that individual was in the United States for a mere 75 days in 2020, plus 75 days in 2021, but a whopping 150 in 2022, the total number of “weighted days” would be 188, making the individual a tax resident of the United States for the year 2022.

The days spent in the United States are not counted if the individual in question is a tax resident of Canada or Mexico and is commuting to the United States for work, the individual spends less than 24 hours in the United States in transit between 2 locations outside of the country, the individual is a crew member of a foreign vessel, or the individual cannot leave the United States because of a medical condition. Note that individuals with a medical condition must prove so to the IRS by filing Form 8843.

In addition, days spent in the United States as an exempt individual are not counted. Exempt individuals include foreign government-related individuals (employees of international organizations, diplomats, and consular personnel) under an “A” or “G” visa; teachers or trainees under an “F” or “J” visa; students under an “F”, “J”, “M”, or “Q” visa; or a professional athlete competing in a charitable sports event.

Finally, individuals who would normally qualify to be treated as a US tax resident under the substantial presence test can be treated as a non-resident if they can demonstrate “closer connection” to a foreign country. This can be done if the individual was present in the US for less than 183 in a given year, had a closer connection to a foreign country where a tax home was maintained, and did not take steps to apply for US permanent residency.

A&M Logos International can assist individuals, C and S corporations, partnerships, trusts, employee benefit plans, and exempt organizations with obtaining US tax residency certification. If you have questions regarding your US tax residency status and need help applying for tax residency certification (Form 6166), feel free to call us at (212) 233-7061 or e-mail us at info@apostille.us. You may also wish to watch our video on US tax residency certification or apply via our website.

Applying for marriage licenses and certificates-a primer

When a couple decides to get married, there are some legal requirements they must fulfill beforehand. The main legal documents involved in getting married are the marriage license and the marriage certificate. Here is an overview of what these are and how to obtain them:

A marriage license is a legal document that gives a couple permission to marry. This document is issued by a local government authority, usually the county or city clerk’s office. To get a marriage license, both members of the couple need to appear together at the county clerk’s office and provide the following:

  • Photo ID such as a driver’s license or passport
  • Proof of age: In most states, you must be at least 18 years old to get married without parental or court approval (the only exceptions to this rule are Nebraska, where that age in 19, and Mississippi, which has the highest marriage age of 21).
  • Social Security numbers
  • Parental consent if underage (state law varies on the lowest age at which an individual can get married with parental and/or court approval. In some states, such as California, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Washington, there is no minimum limit; in most other states, this age is set at 16 or 17).
  • Marriage license fee

There is often a waiting period between 1-6 days to get your marriage license after you apply. This gives time for any objections to be filed or for either party to change their mind. Once issued, marriage licenses are valid for a certain time period—commonly 30-90 days—during which the marriage ceremony must take place. Check the expiration date as you’ll need to obtain a new license if yours expires before the wedding date.

Once the marriage ceremony is performed, the person who officiates (such as a judge, magistrate, minister, or other authorized individual) will complete the required section on the marriage license. Note that in Florida, Maine, and South Carolina, notaries public can also officiate marriages. This document serves as official proof that the marriage took place. It contains information such as:

  • Names of the married couple
  • Date and location of the wedding ceremony
  • Name and title of the officiant
  • Witness signatures

The married couple, officiant, and witnesses must generally also sign the marriage license on the wedding day. Afterwards, the officiant files the completed license with the appropriate city, county, or state authority. The authority will then issue a marriage certificate to serve as proof of marriage for the couple. The newlyweds can also obtain certified copies of the marriage certificate if they lose the original copy or needs extra copies.

Getting these important documents in order is part of the process of making your marriage legal and official. With the proper licenses and certificates, you can enjoy the rights and responsibilities of married life. If you need to present your US marriage documents to a foreign authority, additional steps need to be undertaken to make sure that the marriage certificate is duly legalized.

A&M Logos International is here to help you file your marriage paperwork and to legalize it for use abroad. Our Florida notaries can officiate your marriage, and we can then help you apostille or authenticate your marriage certificate if you need to present it in a foreign country. Call us today at (212) 233-7061 or e-mail us at info@apostille.us. You may also wish to apply for certified copies of marriage records at https://apostille.us/Documents/Document_Marriage_Certificate.shtml

Purpose of No Record of Marriage Certificates

A No Record of Marriage certificate is a government document that states that there is no record of a marriage on file for a particular person. It is sometimes referred to as a “Certificate of Non-Impediment” or a “Single Status Report.”

This type of certificate is typically used for immigration purposes, as a way to prove that someone is not currently married. It can also be used for other purposes, such as applying for a passport or a loan.

Here are some of the reasons why you might need a No Record of Marriage certificate:

  • To apply for a visa or immigration status
  • To get married in a foreign country
  • To buy property
  • To open a bank account
  • To obtain a loan
  • To change your name

If you are unsure whether you need a No Record of Marriage certificate, you should consult with local authorities, an immigration attorney, or other legal professional.

Here are some of the benefits of having a No Record of Marriage certificate:

  • It can help you prove that you are not currently married.
  • It can make the immigration process easier.
  • It can give you peace of mind knowing that your marital status is clear.

If you are considering getting a No Record of Marriage certificate, A&M Logos International is here to answer your questions. Note that the exact fee and processing time ultimately depends on your state (and sometimes county) of residence. Call us today at (212) 233-7061 or e-mail us at info@apostille.us. You may also wish to apply on our website at https://apostille.us/Documents/no_record_marriage.shtml.

Featured below is a sample of a No Record of Marriage certificate from the State of Florida.